This post comes with a step by step guide on how to apply for Sassa Old Age Grant. Again, you will know if you qualify for the Sassa Old Age Grant or not. Moreover, we are going to let you know all other information about Sassa Old Age Grant.
About Sassa Old Age Grant
Sassa stands for South African Social Security Agency. One can receive or get a grant to see them through their old age. An older person’s grant is paid to individuals who are 60 years and above.The former name for this grant is old age pension.
You can apply for older person’s grant at the local Sassa office nearest to where you live.
For now, the maximum amount or grant that one can get is R1980 per month. If the person is older than 75 years, he or she can get R2000 per month. The service is free.
The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) will pay the grant to you through one of the following methods:
- cash at a specific pay point on a particular day
- electronic deposit into your bank or Postbank account (the bank may charge you for the service)
- institutions (e.g. old age home).
Sassa Old Age Grant Qualification Requirements
The following below will let you know if you qualify for the Sassa Old Age Grant or not:
- You must be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee;
- You must live in South Africa;
- You must not receive any other social grant for yourself;
- You must not be cared for in a state institution;
- You must not earn more than R86 280 if you are single or R172 560 if married;
- You must not have assets worth more than 1 227 600 if you are single or R2 455 200 if you are married.
Documents You Need In Order To Apply For Sassa Old Age Grant
The following original documents or certified copies thereof, must accompany an application for an older person’s grant.
- An identity document and the identity document of the applicant’s spouse. If these documents are not available, SASSA will give you an affidavit to complete.
- Proof of spousal relationship status. The following documents will be accepted:
- A sworn statement or an affidavit;
- Divorce Order;
- Marriage certificate;
- Spouse’s death certificate;
- A sworn statement or an affidavit indicating the income and assets of both you and your spouse.
- Supporting documents as deemed necessary to prove one’s income and assets. In the case of a spousal relationship, include documents to confirm the income and assets of your spouse.
- Documented proof of the income of dependent children.
- It should be noted that when affidavits are required SASSA will provide the affidavits to be completed.
How To Apply For Sassa Old Age Grant
- If you are too old/ or sick to travel to the office to apply for a grant, then a family member or friend can apply on your behalf;
- Your application form will be completed in the presence of an officer from SASSA;
- An officer from SASSA must assist you to complete an application form if you are unable to do so;
- When your application is completed you will be given a dated stamped receipt; bearing the name of the SASSA official who assisted you;
- Keep this receipt – it is your only proof of application;
- You do not have to pay any money to apply;
- If your application is approved you will be advised in writing;
- If your application is rejected by SASSA, you will be informed in writing. The letter informing you of the outcome will include reasons why your application was not successful;
- You have the right to request SASSA to reconsider its decision, if you are unhappy with the decision made. The request for SASSA to reconsider its decision must be informed by the outcome of your application. If the reconsidered decision is still unfavourable, you have the right to appeal to the Minister of Social Development in writing.
Contact South African Social Security Agency (SASSA)
SASSA is the only institution in charge of this grant hence, you should contact them through:
SASSA Toll free: 0800 60 10 11
Email: (link sends e-mail)[email protected](link sends e-mail)
HEAD OFFICE — SASSA HOUSE
501 Prodinsa Building, Cnr Beatrix and Pretorius streets, Pretoria Private Bag X55662, Arcadia, Pretoria, 0083
0800 60 10 11 or 012 400 2322.