Do you want to know how to get DSTV decoder insurance? If you answered yes, this post is for you. You’ve most likely arrived here because your DSTV decoder has been stolen or has been damaged in some manner. If you have been paying your insurance premiums on time and in full, you will be entitled to a new decoder or to have the one you have repaired repaired. Please keep in mind that DSTV insurance does not include the remote control. So, how do you go about filing a DSTV insurance claim?
DStv Decoder Insurance
South Africa’s insurance industry is vast and pervasive throughout the economy. The industry includes several competitors fighting for your business, from cellphone insurance to vehicle insurance to home insurance. One of the specialized companies is one that provides insurance coverage for DStv satellite decoders.
While the decoders have a one-year warranty, DStv subscribers can have some certainty of coverage against hardware damage by purchasing an insurance policy, especially before the warranty expires.
The insurance policy, which is underwritten by the South African insurance company NMS Insurance Services, is strictly limited to decoders used within South African boundaries.
Under the policy, a DStv decoder is covered for:
- Mechanical or electrical failures that occur following the waiting period Mechanical and electrical malfunctions will be covered under the warranty if the decoder is still under warranty.
- damage caused by theft, fire, lightning, flood, or explosion; and
- entire loss due to robbery, fire, lightning, flood, or explosion
- In the event of #1 or #2 damage, Multichoice will replace your decoder at a MultiChoice Customer Service Centre with a decoder from service stock of the same or comparable type.
- In the event of a total loss in relation to #3, we shall replace your decoder with a new decoder of the same or similar type at a MultiChoice Walk-in Centre.
What is NOT covered under this policy
- Mechanical or electrical decoder malfunction that happens during the Waiting Period – if the decoder is still under warranty, this will be covered under the guarantee;
- A decoder battery’s mechanical or electrical failure;
- accessories that come with the mobile decoder, unless the mobile decoder itself needs to be replaced under clause 3.1.3;
- smartcards, modems, or television links, whether purchased or offered by MultiChoice;
- remote control units unless the decoder is replaced in terms of #3 above;
- damage caused by misuse, negligence or abuse;
- loss, damage, destruction or reception problems caused by unauthorised tampering with the decoder or the decoder’s aerial system;
- loss or damage as a result of fraud or dishonesty by you or with your involvement or consent;
- lawful attachment of the decoder as a result of a legal process or lawful police action;
- decoders that have been hired to third parties;
- loss or damage occurring outside of the geographical area stipulated in the schedule;
- loss or damage to a decoder that arises from any of the SASRIA Exclusions or the Nuclear Exclusions;
- the Smart LNB;
- satellite dish;
- additional devices and wires linked to your decoder, such as your television, DVD player, and surround sound system
- wall mountings, cables, and other objects utilized in the decoder installation;
- installation costs, including fees paid to a professional installer.
The insurance policy is linked to the serial number of each DStv decoder. If you own more than one decoder and want to cover them all, you’ll need an insurance for each one.
The cost of the insurance coverage is immediately applied to your DStv monthly bill, and there is no savings if you pay your DStv bills annually.
You can sign up through any of the sites listed below:
- Download the DStv app and select the DStv decoder(s) you want to insure
- Visit Self Service on dstv.co.za – My Decoders or Insurance dashboard – and select the DStv decoder(s) you want to insure
- WhatsApp DStv on 060 060 3788 and select “Insure your decoder”
- SMS the word INSURE to 32445 and DStv agents will call you back
- Email your request to dcc (at) multichoice.co.za
- Call them on (011) 369 4000
- Visit any of their Service Centres
The monthly premium varies depending on the type of decoder being insured.
|HD PVR 2Tuner
|HD DStv decoder
|Single view decoder (DSD1110, DSD1131, DSD1132)
While DStv decoder models not indicated in the table above cannot be insured on new contracts, DStv will continue to support active insurance associated with such decoders.
Thank you for reading our article on dstv decoder insurance. We hope you enjoyed our post.